Carried out by Navigator North and commissioned by Middlesbrough Council and Historic England this took place between November 2022 and February 2023. Public spaces included Exchange Square, following demolition of the SLAM building and Zetland Road. Existing plans to develop Zetland Road were brought into this programme to allow the public to find out about and understand upcoming changes. Navigator North have liaised with and fed the findings from this programme to ONE Environments – Middlesbrough Council appointed Landscape Architects who have been commissioned to develop a concept design for the space under the A66, adjacent to Exchange Square.
#YourPublicRealm was a programme of community engagement and creative consultation to inform the development of the public space in Middlesbrough’s High Street Heritage Action Zone (HSHAZ).
We asked three key questions:
1. What would make Exchange Square a safe and vibrant public space to spend more time in?
2. Tell us how you would encourage more people to use this space?
3. How can heritage feature in the design and creation of these spaces?
Navigator North carried out an extensive public consultation process from November 2022 to February 2023. The programme directly engaged with over 750 people, through specialist talks, outreach sessions, printed and online material, hosted events, creation of new artworks, a social media campaign, workshops, production of a zine, a focused exhibition, research and sharing archival material.
Who we worked with…
• Local residents
• Students from local colleges (Middlesbrough College and Northern School of Art)
• Visitors to the town/public
• Artist community and cultural organisations
• Employees, customers and visitors to HSHAZ venues and businesses
• ‘Staying Included’ elders group.
• Online audiences and Historic Quarter newsletter subscribers
• Current users of Exchange Square (including skater community, young people and audiences to local venues)
• Property and business owners in the HSHAZ
• Middlesbrough Council
• Historic England
• Local councillors, Executive Member of Regeneration, Deputy Mayor
• Network Rail/Middlesbrough Railway Station
Click the links below to read the finding from Navigator North and the Landscape Strategy from ONE Environments.
This zine tells the story of over 750 people who told us about their memories, thoughts and ideas for the development of public space in Middlesbrough’s Historic Quarter as part of a creative programme designed and delivered by Navigator North working with artist Sara Cooper between November 2022 and February 2023.
If you’d like a paper copy of the #YourPublicRealm Zine, there are a limited number available at The Masham during Exhibition Opening Times.
Click the link below to read the zine on ISSUU.